I'm so excited to see more and more people pledging to buy handmade gifts from independent craftspeople this holiday season! WOO HOO!
Here are some reasons to buy handmade from local artisans right here in the USA!
1. You support local artisans, and therefore their local economy and community. Supporting local business has a huge list of benefits all to itself, far too many to list here, but it’s a good thing, trust me.
2. You get high-quality items that are built to last, not all the stuff that has the “How cheap can I produce this?” mentality. It’ll probably fall apart in a year or two, but handmade items have longevity. Artisans have pride in their work, and want it to last. Even the materials are hand-picked by an individual, and what big manufacturing company can say that?
3. Your gifts are the best on the block. Cool, trendy, unique, and usually one-of-a kind, you can find some really awesome handmade stuff that’ll make everyone ask “Where can I get one?”
4. Customization! Since each and every item is made by hand, and you are usually talking directly to the person making it, you can tweak the color or size of something you are interested in, or even get a fully commissioned custom order done. This avoids you having the excuse of “it was all the store had left.” Want a cool case for your new gadget, but maybe you have some weird size the store doesn’t offer? Get is custom made to your exact dimensions! The possibilities are endless really.
5. You’re helping the environment. It’s always a nice feeling to ‘go green’ isn’t it? Handmade items aren’t made in a waste-producing factory and shipped halfway around the world using fuel and energy. Buying handmade (especially locally) can greatly reduce your carbon footprint on the world.
6. You gain a unique connection with an artisan. You can be in direct contact with the person who made the item with their own hands. For some reason this is just really cool. I mean, think about how awesome it’d be to meet your favorite clothing designer, artist, author, or chef. It’s kinda like that feeling, but on a much smaller and more intimate scale.
7. Let’s not forget the warm fuzzy feeling of knowing you helped support someone very directly.
For amazing handmade gifts check out our shop and all the wonderful artisans on Etsy!