Pages

Monday, November 26, 2012

An Advent Calendar Without Candy or Gifts?


I was looking for something to put in my advent calendar that wasn't candy or small gifts because I feel completely overloaded with both of those things this time of year.  I don't want my kids to get sucked into the idea that the holidays are all about GIFTS.  Yes, gifts are a fun part of the holidays, but so is being around friends and family and DOING things together.  There are so many fun things to do in and around our community and I love that this time of year we have even more opportunities to be around our wonderful friends and neighbors!

Well, thank you Pinterest for leading me to Kim McCary's amazing blog post with just the idea I was searching for!  Usually a huge time sucker, Pinterest has come through with some pretty awesome ideas and this one is fantastic.  Kim does an "Activity Advent Calendar" with her family, and we are totally adopting that idea this year!  I can't wait to start!

Here is our cute little advent calendar just waiting to be filled with activities:



Here are Kim's little cards with some of the activities she does with her family:


Our activities will be different. We are axing the "sledding with Dad" one since it's usually 75 degrees in December here and adding things like our community golf cart parade and a horse-drawn carriage ride through the vineyards we do every year (which is GORGEOUS with Christmas lights on the vines).  The boys are helping me come up with ideas which has been a lot of fun in itself!  My oldest is 6 and VERY into traditions and holidays so he is having a great time and really excited about all the fun activities we'll be doing together.

Now all we have to do is wait for December to get here! This early Thanksgiving this year is throwing me off!


No comments:

Post a Comment